Looking south down Eighth Street, one can see the columns from the University of Missouri's original administration building. When the building was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1892, the columns were left standing. They are now the predominate feature in the University's historic Francis Quadrangle. In 1846 the second county courthouse was built on the opposite end of the street and architect William Jewell aligned its columns with those at the University. When the courthouse was razed in the early 1900's, public outcry encouraged city leaders to keep the columns intact.
18 N. Eighth Street
When first built, this five-story building was billed as "Columbia's First Sky-Scraper." This 1910 office building is also known for the wonderful mural in its lobby, The History of Columbia and Boone County by local artist Sidney Larson. Larson, an art professor at Christian College (now Columbia College) since 1951, studied under Thomas Hart Benton. Later, Larson was responsible for the restoration of paintings by George Caleb Bingham and others. Larson's other mural work can be seen inside the Boone County Courthouse.
720 E. Broadway
Boone County National Bank
R.B. Price, the founder of Boone County Bank, came to Columbia in 1850 to attend the University of Missouri. In 1857, at the age of only 25, he founded the bank. By 1871, Boone County National Bank became the first national bank in Missouri. The corner building was constructed in 1916 and received national acclaim for its fine architecture of Carthage stone. The original interior included a men's-only room decorated with wood paneling and a large fireplace where gentlemen could gather to discuss financial matters. Not to slight the ladies, a women's room had wicker furniture, mirrors and writing desks equipped with stationary.
23 South Eighth
The Tiger Hotel has dominated Columbia's skyline since its opening in 1928. Reportedly, the ten-story building--the tallest in the city--once posed serious problems for Columbia's Fire Department. Owners, taking advantage of the advertising opportunities presented by the height of their building, mounted the large, red neon "Tiger" sign on the roof. The entire building, including the ballroom and the top floor, is currently undergoing rehabilitation. The depression hit soon after construction of the hotel and the basement was converted into inexpensive housing for transient workers. Even today, you can see the partitions in the basement, each with just enough room for a bed and a sink. National Register
Next stop: The Strollway